From this article you will learn:
How often do people change careers?
Most people choose a profession at a young age and do not realize what they want, so now, about 70% of employees are thinking about changing careers, and on average, people change careers once every seven years.
To find a profession you like faster, try to try out different careers as much as possible.
Free common reasons for trying out different careers
Reason 1. You chose your current profession under the influence of other people.
Did you go to the college your parents chose for you? Is your profession a reflection of society’s expectations of you?
Self-fulfillment is an important part of life, so no one can decide for you what field you should work in.
Remember that it is possible to succeed in any field if you like your job, so don’t be afraid of competition, be brave and feel free to try out different careers until you truly find yours.
Reason 2. Your current job does not correspond to your values.
Formulate the values that you follow during your life. If the job doesn’t resonate with your values, you won’t be able to work long in that profession, because that work will take a lot of energy. That’s why it’s worth trying different careers to find the best profession for you.
Determine how your current profession aligns with your values.
Example: You work in customer service but dream of becoming a leader and leading your team? It’s time to ask your employer for a raise or consider a career change.
Reason 3. You want job satisfaction, not high pay.
Higher-order needs are mainly motivated to work now, name recognition, and self-realization.
If you feel that your current profession only attracts you with a good paycheck, it’s time to try out different careers. You can realize your potential and make a good living if your motivation is not only based on money.
You can find fresh jobs for these and other positions on our Ucanremote resource. Register on the service in a couple of minutes, fill in your CV, and start getting feedback from employers now.
Step-by-step instructions on how to try out different careers and change your profession
Want to try out different careers, but don’t know where to start? Follow these eight steps, and a career change won’t be a headache for you.
Step № 1. Check your reasons.
If you are already working, clearly state the reasons why you are not satisfied with your occupation.
If they can’t be eliminated after talking to your boss and you’re sure they won’t change, it’s time to change your profession.
If you are just choosing a profession and want to try out different careers, skip to step 2.
Step № 2. Formulate your goals.
Before you change companies, clearly define your long-term career goals.
Examples of long-term goals:
- «In 3 years, I will reach a steady income of $80,000 per year».
- «In 4 years, I will take a position as a top manager at company X».
Example: If you want to make people’s lives more comfortable and happy, and you value friendship, consider working for Starbucks.
Step № 3. Honestly answer the seven questions from career counselors.
- Think about what your strengths are?
- Are there related professions to the one you have now? You might be able to get excited about a new job with almost no time or money commitment.
- Do you learn everything on the fly, or are you the kind of person who, before the exam, a hundred times, rereads the synopsis and can not remember the main idea of the text after a minute?
- Are you a team player or an individualist? Can you stand interacting with a million colleagues from the neighboring departments, or do you prefer silently prepare reports?
- Do you like hard work or can’t even sit still for 10 minutes?
- What kind of work you would agree to do even for a relatively small fee, and would you enjoy it.
- What did you dream of becoming as a child? What hobbies did you have? A child follows their soul, so as a child, we are aware of what «lights us up».
Step № 4. Take career tests.
Career tests will help reveal your interests, skills, values, and personality type.
After you complete the career tests, you will receive a list of occupations that may be a good fit for you. Start with these professions to try out different careers.
Step № 5. Examine the occupations you like and are best suited for.
Evaluate each profession by the criteria and score each item from 1 to 10:
- The profession’s relevance to your core values
- Average salary level
- Demand for the next ten years
- Prospects for growth in the profession
- The possibility of working remotely
- The suitability of your knowledge and skills for the job
- The difficulty of learning the profession
Select 2-3 professions that scored higher. That way you’ll know which professions to start to try out different careers.
Step № 6. Update your resume.
Update your resume to match your current work experience and recent accomplishments.
Example: If you have more than six years of experience, you don’t need to attach school reports to your resume.
We have prepared three CV templates for you to download, add your details and then export your finished CV in PDF format.
Also we have prepared a section cheat sheet for you to download to help you build your resume properly.
To try out different careers and not ruin your resume, Include only relevant information that adds value to the position you are applying for or is of interest to future employers.
Step № 7. Explore employment opportunities.
Formulate your ideal working conditions, work environment, and management practices for yourself. Choose the companies that best fit your desires.
You can get feedback now. Create a profile on Ucanremote in a couple of minutes, leave your resume and wait for the right offers.
Step № 8. Find «your» company.
Send out unsolicited applications, apply for jobs yourself, and go for interviews. You don’t have to wait for an employer to find you. The more effort you make, to try out different careers, the better your chance of finding your dream company.
We’ve prepared a list of sources from which you can learn about the company:
- Company page on LinkedIn and Xing and social media.
- Company open houses.
- Official media interviews with company representatives.
- Conversation with a recruiter.
What profession to choose to try different careers? Top 20 high-demand and 10 disappearing professions
Dreaming of working remotely from anywhere in the world? Check out the top 25 most in-demand remote jobs this year.
Choose professions according to the instructions above and try out different careers.
- Online Education Manager
- Content Creator
- Digital marketing specialist
- Big Data analyst and Data Scientist
- Work environment architect
- Diverse hiring manager
- Personal coach
- Artificial Intelligence Specialist
- Robotics Engineer
- SMM Specialist
- UX/UI and Web Designer
- Graphic Designer
- Product designer
- Product Manager
- Marketplace Manager
- Customer service representative
- Sales representative
- Medical writer
- Registered nurse
In the age of digital technology and the Internet, many professions are becoming a thing of the past and are being replaced by machines.
Here’s a list of 10 professions that will disappear by 2030:
If your profession is one of them — think about changing the type of activity.
Do you want to build a career as a remote specialist and get offers from good companies? Or are you tired of working in the office and want to try remote work from home?
Ucanremote will find the most suitable jobs for you where the chance of getting a positive response is close to 100%.
Ucanremote allows you to create a resume that differentiates you from others through:
- background checks with standardized tests from employers;
- feedback about you as a professional from your friends, acquaintances, former colleagues and managers;
- rating system based on your competencies.
Ucanremote will allow you to create a professional profile and compare your resume to that of your competitors, provide salary recommendations based on your knowledge, skills and experience.