From this article you will learn:
Step-by-step instructions on how to start a new career
Want to start a new career, but don’t know what the next step is?
Follow these ten steps, and a career search won’t be a headache for you.
Step № 1. Formulate your goals.
Before you start a new career, clearly define your long-term career goals.
Examples of long-term goals:
- «In 3 years, I will reach a steady income of $80,000 per year».
- «In 4 years, I will take a position as a top manager at company X».
Example: If you want to make people’s lives more comfortable and happy, and you value friendship, consider working for Starbucks.
Step № 2. Honestly answer the seven questions from career counselors.
- Think about what your strengths are?
- Are there related professions to the one you have now? You might be able to get excited about a new job with almost no time or money commitment.
- Do you learn everything on the fly, or are you the kind of person who, before the exam, a hundred times, rereads the synopsis and can not remember the main idea of the text after a minute?
- Are you a team player or an individualist? Can you stand interacting with a million colleagues from the neighboring departments, or do you prefer silently prepare reports?
- Do you like hard work or can’t even sit still for 10 minutes?
- What kind of work you would agree to do even for a relatively small fee, and would you enjoy it.
- What did you dream of becoming as a child? What hobbies did you have? A child follows their soul, so as a child, we are aware of what «lights us up».
Step № 3. Take career tests.
Career tests will help reveal your interests, skills, values, and personality type. If you understand your peculiarities, it will be easier to start a new career and not to make a mistake.
After you complete the career tests, you will receive a list of occupations that may be a good fit for you.
Step № 4. Examine the occupations you like and are best suited for.
Evaluate each profession by the criteria and score each item from 1 to 10:
- The profession’s relevance to your core values
- Average salary level
- Demand for the next ten years
- Prospects for growth in the profession
- The possibility of working remotely
- The suitability of your knowledge and skills for the job
- The difficulty of learning the profession
Select 2-3 professions that scored higher. These professions will be a priority for you to start a new career.
Step № 5. Find companies for each profession and research their requirements.
Find out as much information as you can about the companies you like and the industries in which you plan to start a new career: from working conditions and requirements for candidates to the latest projects and initiatives launched.
We’ve prepared a list of sources from which you can learn about the company:
- Company page on LinkedIn and Xing and social media.
- Company open houses.
- Official media interviews with company representatives.
- Conversation with a recruiter.
Step № 5. Ask people in your field of interest and subscribe to them on social media.
Of course, everyone has an individual path. You don’t necessarily face the same challenges as other people. But the conversation will help you learn the nuances of the profession and avoid making mistakes at the start.
Many professionals from different fields actively maintain Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter pages. Subscribe to the pages of people in the fields that interest you, and you’ll learn about their work lives.
Step № 6. Evaluate how much time and how much budget you are willing to spend to learn a new profession.
Don’t be afraid to start a new career and think about the full range of possibilities. If you are a marketer who is passionate about the law, be sure to include a lawyer in your list of possible future careers.
Searching for a profession may seem long and difficult to you, but it’s definitely worth it.
Step № 7. Update your resume.
Update your resume to match your current work experience and recent accomplishments.
Example: If you have more than six years of experience, you don’t need to attach school reports to your resume.
We have prepared three CV templates for you to download, add your details and then export your finished CV in PDF format.
Also we have prepared a section cheat sheet for you to download to help you build your resume properly.
Step № 8. Explore employment opportunities.
Formulate your ideal working conditions, work environment, and management practices for yourself. Only start a new career with companies that best fit your desires.
You can get feedback now. Create a profile on Ucanremote in a couple of minutes, leave your resume and wait for the right offers.
Step № 9. Find «your» company on the Ucanremote.
Send out unsolicited applications, apply for jobs yourself, and go for interviews. You don’t have to wait for an employer to find you. The more effort you make, the better your chance to start a new career in a dream company.
In the Ucanremote we have collected only verified companies with high ratings. Register in a few clicks, upload your resume and wait for a response.
Tip: Fill out your profile in detail. This will increase the chance of getting an employer’s attention and start a new career faster.
Step № 10. Let your boss know about the change career in advance.
As soon as you firmly decide to start a new career inform your bosses and colleagues about the job change.
Give your bosses at least two weeks’ notice before you finally leave the company, so the employer has time to find a new employee.
Top 20 high-demand remote professions
Which profession do you think is the best to start a new career in? Dreaming of working remotely from anywhere in the world? Check out the top 20 most in-demand remote jobs.
- Data Scientist
- SMM Specialist
- UX/UI and Web Designer
- Graphic Designer
- Product designer
- Content creator
- Product Manager
- Marketplace Manager
- Online School Manager
- Customer service representative
- Sales representative
- Medical writer
- Registered nurse
How to start a new career and write a resume at 40, 50, and 60?
Do you want to start a new career, but your age is stopping you? Do you think that at 40, 50 and 60 it is too late to start a new career and that it will be difficult to get them?
You can make the step to your dream job at any age. The main thing is to be willing to learn and follow trends. We will help you share the best and harmless ways to start a new career at 40+ and find your strengths.
4 tips on how to start a new career if you’re 40+ years old
Are you convinced that only young candidates are hiring and you don’t stand a chance? Follow our tips on how to change careers at 40+ and achieve your goals.
Tip № 1. Find out and showcase your strengths.
What strengths and skills set you apart from other candidates? Do you think nature has rested on you and left you without talents? Answer just ten questions for yourself and prepare to be surprised — you might even discover a few superpowers.
10 questions to ask yourself to identify your strengths and talents:
- What am I passionate about?
- What am I good at doing easily or faster than others?
- What 5-7 qualities do you respect yourself for?
- If you had the necessary amount of money, what training would you spend it on?
- What can I teach others?
- What do I get asked to help with?
- What blogs am I subscribed to on social media that I read and watch the most?
- What tasks do I feel energized and energized to do?
- What am I willing to talk about for hours?
- What would I do if I had as much money as I need to be happy?
Focus on these skills and your strengths on your resume and cover letter. This will increase your chance of starting a new career quickly.
Tip № 2. Show your willingness to work on your weaknesses to your employer.
Highlight your weaknesses and skills that you do not possess because of your age.
Show your future employer your willingness to learn new things.
Tip № 3. Consider your limiting factors.
Try to choose a new profession and start a new career where these factors will not make you uncomfortable.
Tip № 4. Use online resources.
The service Ucanremote will help you find remote work in the best companies. Registration is free and takes 1 minute. Just upload your CV or complete your profile and wait for responses.
What are the best professions to start a new career at age 40+?
- Recruiting Manager
- Sales Manager
- SEO Specialist
- Web Developer
- Event Planner
- Patient care technician
You can learn an online career and work on your schedule from anywhere.
Do you want to build a career as a remote specialist and get offers from good companies? Or are you tired of working in the office and want to try remote work from home?
Ucanremote will find the most suitable jobs for you where the chance of getting a positive response is close to 100%.
Ucanremote allows you to create a resume that differentiates you from others through:
- background checks with standardized tests from employers;
- feedback about you as a professional from your friends, acquaintances, former colleagues and managers;
- rating system based on your competencies.
Ucanremote will allow you to create a professional profile and compare your resume to that of your competitors, provide salary recommendations based on your knowledge, skills and experience.