From this article you will learn:
To be correct in picking a new career, look inside yourself. Take a notebook and answer the seven questions honestly.
What questions to ask yourself to pick a new career?
- What are my strengths and weaknesses?
- What were my interests as a child?
- What are my values?
- What value do I want to bring to the company and society?
- What role should work play in my life?
- What kind of atmosphere do I want to work in?
- Are the professions I am interested in demanding? Will they still be in demand ten years from now?
- How do I choose my profession?
How to pick a new career? Seven tips to help you choose the career path
First stage: try to adequately assess your capabilities at the moment and pick a new career.
Step № 1. Honestly answer the seven questions from career counselors.
- Think about what your strengths are?
- Are there related professions to the one you have now? You might be able to get excited about a new job with almost no time or money commitment.
- Do you learn everything on the fly, or are you the kind of person who, before the exam, a hundred times, rereads the synopsis and can not remember the main idea of the text after a minute?
- Are you a team player or an individualist? Can you stand interacting with a million colleagues from the neighboring departments, or do you prefer silently prepare reports?
- Do you like hard work or can’t even sit still for 10 minutes?
- What kind of work you would agree to do even for a relatively small fee, and would you enjoy it.
- What did you dream of becoming as a child? What hobbies did you have? A child follows their soul, so as a child, we are aware of what «lights us up».
Step № 2. Take career tests.
Career tests will help reveal your interests, skills, values, and personality type.
After you complete the career tests, you will receive a list to pick a new career.
Step № 3. Examine the occupations you like and are best suited for.
Evaluate each profession by the criteria and score each item from 1 to 10:
- The profession’s relevance to your core values.
- Average salary level.
- Demand for the next ten years.
- Prospects for growth in the profession.
- The possibility of working remotely.
- The suitability of your knowledge and skills for the job.
- The difficulty of learning the profession.
Select 2-3 professions that scored higher. That way you can pick a new career.
Step № 4. Find companies for each profession and research their requirements.
Find out as much information as you can about the companies you like and their industries: from working conditions and requirements for candidates to the latest projects and initiatives launched.
We’ve prepared a list of sources from which you can learn about the company:
- Company page on LinkedIn and Xing and social media.
- Company open houses.
- Official media interviews with company representatives.
- Conversation with a recruiter.
Step № 5. Ask people in your field of interest and subscribe to them on social media.
Of course, everyone has an individual path. You don’t necessarily face the same challenges as other people. But the conversation will help you learn the nuances of the profession and avoid making mistakes when picking a new career.
Many professionals from different fields actively maintain Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter pages. Subscribe to the pages of people in the fields that interest you, and you’ll learn about their work lives.
Second stage. Evaluate how much time and how much budget you are willing to spend to learn a new profession.
Don’t be afraid to go into a new field and think about the full range of possibilities. If you are a marketer who is passionate about the law, be sure to include a lawyer in your list of possible future careers.
Changing careers and picking a new career may seem long and difficult to you, but it’s definitely worth it.
Try to pick a new career from remote professions. You can submit your resume on the Ucanremote website and already start getting feedback from employers.
Top 20 high-demand remote professions
Dreaming of working remotely from anywhere in the world? Check out the top 20 most in-demand remote jobs in 2022.
- Data Scientist
- SMM Specialist
- UX/UI and Web Designer
- Graphic Designer
- Product designer
- Content creator
- Product Manager
- Marketplace Manager
- Online School Manager
- Customer service representative
- Sales representative
- Medical writer
- Registered nurse
Do you want to build a career as a remote specialist and get offers from good companies? Or are you tired of working in the office and want to try remote work from home?
Ucanremote will find the most suitable jobs for you where the chance of getting a positive response is close to 100%.
Ucanremote allows you to create a resume that differentiates you from others through:
- background checks with standardized tests from employers;
- feedback about you as a professional from your friends, acquaintances, former colleagues and managers;
- rating system based on your competencies.
Ucanremote will allow you to create a professional profile and compare your resume to that of your competitors, provide salary recommendations based on your knowledge, skills and experience.