From this article you will learn:
Step-by-step instructions on how to make a career change?
Constantly dreaming of a weekend, your bosses give you uninteresting tasks, and colleagues reject your ideas? Your work does not inspire you, but you are afraid to lose a stable salary if you quit?
Want to make a career change, but don’t know where to start? Follow these six steps, and a career change won’t be a headache for you.
Step № 1 to make a career change. Check your reasons.
Clearly state the reasons why you are not satisfied with your occupation.
If they can’t be eliminated after talking to your boss and you’re sure they won’t change, it’s time to make a career change.
Step № 2 to make a career change. Formulate your goals.
Before you change companies, clearly define your long-term career goals.
Examples of long-term goals:
- «In 3 years, I will reach a steady income of $80,000 per year».
- «In 4 years, I will take a position as a top manager at company X».
Example: If you want to make people’s lives more comfortable and happy, and you value friendship, consider working for Starbucks.
Step № 3 to make a career change. Update your resume.
Update your resume to match your current work experience and recent accomplishments.
Example: If you have more than six years of experience, you don’t need to attach school reports to your resume.
Step № 4 to make a career change. Explore employment opportunities.
Formulate your ideal working conditions, work environment, and management practices for yourself. Choose the companies that best fit your desires.
You can get feedback now. Create a profile on Ucanremote in a couple of minutes, leave your resume and wait for the right offers.
Step № 5 to make a career change. Find «your» company.
Send out unsolicited applications, apply for jobs yourself, and go for interviews. You don’t have to wait for an employer to find you. The more effort you make, the better your chance of finding your dream company.
Step № 6 to make a career change. Let your boss know in advance that you want to make a career change.
As soon as you firmly decide to change companies and start receiving invitations for job interviews, inform your bosses and colleagues about the career change.
Give your bosses at least two weeks’ notice before you finally leave the company, so the employer has time to find a new employee.
How to choose a profession? Seven tips to help you to make a career change
Don’t know what profession to choose? Do you dream of earning good money and enjoying your work? Follow our advice to make a career change. Don’t skip the steps to better understand your desire and make the right choice.
First stage: try to adequately assess your capabilities at the moment and choose a field.
Tip № 1 to make a career change: honestly answer the seven questions from career counselors.
- Think about what your strengths are?
- Are there related professions to the one you have now? You might be able to get excited about a new job with almost no time or money commitment.
- Do you learn everything on the fly, or are you the kind of person who, before the exam, a hundred times, rereads the synopsis and can not remember the main idea of the text after a minute?
- Are you a team player or an individualist? Can you stand interacting with a million colleagues from the neighboring departments, or do you prefer silently prepare reports?
- Do you like hard work or can’t even sit still for 10 minutes?
- What kind of work you would agree to do even for a relatively small fee, and would you enjoy it.
- What did you dream of becoming as a child? What hobbies did you have? A child follows their soul, so as a child, we are aware of what «lights us up».
Tip № 2 to make a career change: take career tests.
Career tests will help reveal your interests, skills, values, and personality type.
After you complete the career tests, you will receive a list of occupations that may be a good fit for you.
Tip № 3 to make a career change: examine the occupations you like and are best suited for.
Evaluate each profession by the criteria and score each item from 1 to 10:
- The profession’s relevance to your core values.
- Average salary level.
- Demand for the next ten years.
- Prospects for growth in the profession.
- The possibility of working remotely.
- The suitability of your knowledge and skills for the job.
- The difficulty of learning the profession.
Select 2-3 professions that scored higher.
Tip № 4 to make a career change: find companies for each profession and research their requirements.
Find out as much information as you can about the companies you like and their industries: from working conditions and requirements for candidates to the latest projects and initiatives launched.
We’ve prepared a list of sources from which you can learn about the company:
- Company page on LinkedIn and Xing and social media.
- Company open houses.
- Official media interviews with company representatives.
- Conversation with a recruiter.
Tip № 5 to make a career change: ask people in your field of interest and subscribe to them on social media.
Of course, everyone has an individual path. You don’t necessarily face the same challenges as other people. But the conversation will help you learn the nuances of the profession and avoid making mistakes at the start.
Many professionals from different fields actively maintain Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter pages. Subscribe to the pages of people in the fields that interest you, and you’ll learn about their work lives.
Second stage: Evaluate how much time and how much budget you are willing to spend to learn a new profession.
Don’t be afraid to go into a new field and think about the full range of possibilities. If you are a marketer who is passionate about the law, be sure to include a lawyer in your list of possible future careers.
Do you want to build a career as a remote specialist and get offers from good companies? Or are you tired of working in the office and want to try remote work from home?
Ucanremote will find the most suitable jobs for you where the chance of getting a positive response is close to 100%.
Ucanremote allows you to create a resume that differentiates you from others through:
- background checks with standardized tests from employers;
- feedback about you as a professional from your friends, acquaintances, former colleagues and managers;
- rating system based on your competencies.
Ucanremote will allow you to create a professional profile and compare your resume to that of your competitors, provide salary recommendations based on your knowledge, skills and experience.
Why Ucanremote is what you need now?
Changing careers may seem long and difficult to you, but it’s definitely worth it.