From this article you will learn:
You can make the step to your dream job at any age. The main thing is to be willing to learn and follow trends. We will help you share the best and harmless ways to change careers at 40 and find your strengths.
8 tips on how to change careers at 40+ years old
Are you convinced that only young candidates are hiring and you don’t stand a chance? Follow our tips on how to change careers at 40+ and achieve your goals.
Tip № 1 how to change careers at 40. Get inside yourself.
Answer yourself the questions:
- What is important to me in my job?
- How do I benefit people in my current job?
- What dreams do I want to accomplish in my life?
The answers will help you determine what kind of work is suited to you.
Sample answers to the questions:
What advice would you give Michael? To open his own medical or rehabilitation center, start a volunteer program, look into other areas, and become an event planner.
Think beyond and scale when choosing a new profession at age 40+: don’t limit yourself to professions related to your current line of work.
Tip № 2 how to change careers at 40. Be clear about your goals and the steps you need to take to achieve them.
Without a plan for changing jobs, it can take a long time. Clearly spell out all your steps and their deadlines.
Tip № 3 how to change careers at 40. Assess your budget.
Answer the questions:
- How long can I maintain my current lifestyle with my savings?
- How much money do I need to get started in my new career?
- What minimum wage do I need?
If you can’t afford to quit yet, don’t betray the dream. Think about how you can earn extra money and whether you’ll be able to combine two professions at first.
Tip № 4 how to change careers at 40. Find out and showcase your strengths.
What strengths and skills set you apart from other candidates? Do you think nature left you without talents? Answer just ten questions for yourself and prepare to be surprised — you might even discover a few superpowers.
Ten questions to ask yourself to identify your strengths and talents:
- What am I passionate about?
- What am I good at doing easily or faster than others?
- What 5-7 qualities do you respect yourself for?
- If you had the necessary amount of money, what training would you spend it on?
- What can I teach others?
- What do I get asked to help with?
- What blogs am I subscribed to on social media that I read and watch the most?
- What tasks do I feel energized and energized to do?
- What am I willing to talk about for hours?
- What would I do if I had as much money as I need to be happy?
When changing careers, don’t forget the soft skills.
Focus on these skills and your strengths on your resume and cover letter. This will increase your chance of getting your dream job.
Tip № 5 how to change careers at 40. Show your willingness to work on your weaknesses to your employer.
Highlight your weaknesses and skills that you do not possess because of your age.
Show your future employer your willingness to learn new things.
Tip № 6 how to change careers at 40. Consider your limiting factors.
Try to choose a new profession where these factors will not make you uncomfortable.
Tip № 7 how to change careers at 40. Register on social networks.
Social networks Meta, Twitter, and LinkedIn, bring people together with common information, insights, and ideas. Join chats and professional communities to learn more about your desired profession.
Tip № 8 how to change careers at 40. Use online resources.
The service Ucanremote will help you find remote work in the best companies. Registration is free and takes 1 minute. Just upload your CV or complete your profile and wait for responses.
Top 10 professions you can learn in 40+
- Recruiting Manager
- Sales Manager
- SEO Specialist
- Web Developer
- Event Planner
- Patient care technician
You can learn an online career and work on your schedule from anywhere. Submit your resume on Ucanremote and start getting feedback from employers now.
Do you want to build a career as a remote specialist and get offers from good companies? Or are you tired of working in the office and want to try remote work from home?
Ucanremote will find the most suitable jobs for you where the chance of getting a positive response is close to 100%.
Ucanremote allows you to create a resume that differentiates you from others through:
- background checks with standardized tests from employers;
- feedback about you as a professional from your friends, acquaintances, former colleagues and managers;
- rating system based on your competencies.