From this article you will learn:
In this article we’ll tell you how much do coders make and take a look at the ten IT-professions and how much money they make. The last paragraph will give you step-by-step instructions on how to become an IT specialist.
How much do coders make?
IT is a broad field, so average annual salaries range from 40,000 USD to 200,000 USD.
Here’s a list of the average annual salaries of programmers in different states:
- Virginia: 100,985 USD
- Colorado: 72,999 USD
- New York: 62,090 USD
- California: 60,841 USD
- Kansas: 55,388 USD
- Illinois: 52,996 USD
- Texas: 45,354 USD
- Massachusetts: 45 221 USD
A programmer’s starting salary is about USD 20,000. The more experience you have in IT, the higher the salary.
Salary depends on the language you program in.
IT directions and salary
We’ve compiled a list of the six most promising fields in IT and compared them by criteria. Pick a direction you like and take the skills you need.
Internet of Things
IT specialists in this area’s task are to develop cloud services and applications to manage IoT systems.
Examples of professions:
- IoT developer
- Web developer
- Blockchain Engineer
- Usability and User Experience Specialist
- Link Manager
How much do coders make? Average annual salary: 135,000 USD.
Information Security (Cybersecurity)
The job of IT professionals in this field: is to protect the user and company data from cyber criminals.
Examples of occupations:
- Cybersecurity Specialist
- Anti-Fraud Analyst
- Security Operation Center Specialist
How much do coders make? Average annual salary: 90,000 USD.
IT specialists in this field’s job are to design and implement software in companies.
Examples of occupations
- DevOps developer
- Mobile software developer
- Software Tester
- Embedded Programmer
- Information Systems Architect
How much do coders make? Average annual salary: 120,000 USD.
The task of IT specialists in this area is to help service users solve technical problems.
Examples of occupations:
- Computer support specialist.
- Network and computer system administrator
- Forum Administrator
- Support Engineer
How much do coders make? Average annual salary: 60,000 USD.
IT specialists in this field’s task are to create, analyze, protect and restore databases.
Examples of professions:
- Database Administrator and Architect
- Data Scientist
- Data Mining Specialist
How much do coders make? Average annual salary: 130,000 USD.
IT specialists in this field’s task are to develop and maintain devices and machines with artificial intelligence, to automate their work.
Examples of occupations:
- VR Architect
- Game developer (Gamedev)
- Architect of intelligent control systems for crewless vehicles
- Chatbot Developer
How much do coders make? Average annual salary: 200,000 USD.
For example, a software tester can work in any IT field and later immerse himself in the IT field he likes best.
Which jobs are available in IT? 10 Jobs
Let’s elaborate on specific IT jobs. In this paragraph, we’ll explain the difference between IT jobs and where to get the highest salaries.
The IT field includes many different professions, so you shouldn’t worry about the lack of jobs: everyone can find a job to their liking.
IT professions can be divided into three groups:
- Programmers (coders/ software developers) create programs.
- Administrators are responsible for the smooth operation of equipment and programs.
- Managers organize the work of programmers and administrators.
Here is a list of 10 popular and in-demand jobs in IT:
Android Mobile Software Developer
An Android mobile software developer creates and improves programs for Android mobile devices. He is responsible for the text of the computer program — the code.
- Meet user needs with new programs.
- Improve existing programs.
- Plan cooperative operation of individual program parts.
- Test the software.
- Track and fix bugs in your programs.
- Create reference documentation.
How much do coders make? Average annual salary: 184,532 USD.
A Webflow Developer creates and maintains websites.
- Identify the needs of website users.
- Create and test Web applications.
- Write code for the Web site.
- Create interfaces and layouts for Web sites.
- Monitor website traffic and evaluate the effectiveness.
A web developer can hold three positions:
1. The back-end developer designs the server, application, and database.
2. The front-end developer develops the website interface.
3. Full-stack developer performs the work of both backend and frontend developers.
How much do coders make? Average annual salary: 77 200 USD.
Blockchain engineer develops and implements projects with blockchain technology.
- Design and develop blockchain-based systems.
- research the market for cryptocurrencies — independent digital currencies.
- Develop rules for transactions between blockchain participants.
How much do coders make? Average annual salary: 112 226 USD.
Computer support specialist
A computer support specialist solves technical problems for users and company employees.
- Evaluate and meet the needs of users.
- Repair the computer equipment and devices.
- Train the user in the use of the equipment and devices.
How much do coders make? Average annual salary: 55,510 USD.
Network and computer systems administrator
The network and computer systems administrator maintains the company’s website. He solves user problems and monitors the quality of work of technical specialists.
- Improve and repair web networks.
- protect Web networks from cyber-attacks.
- train users to work with computer hardware and devices.
- troubleshoot technical errors by users.
How much do coders make? Average annual salary: 80 600 USD.
Database administrator and architect
The database administrator and architect collects, stores, and protects companies’ big data. He ensures quick and easy interaction between external systems and company databases.
For example, a database administrator at a pharma company is responsible for securing customer health insurance data.
- Meet user needs with new databases.
- Improve the old databases.
- Maintain all databases in good working order.
- Provide users with the ability to use the data.
- Create data backups and recover lost data.
How much do coders make? Average annual salary: 170 026 USD.
Data Scientist uses big data to solve a specific business challenge.
- Analyze databases.
- Automate websites and applications with models.
Average annual salary: 116 260 USD.
Computer systems analyst
A computer systems analyst creates computing systems to meet the technical needs of a company.
For example, in a financial company, a computer systems analyst may develop a system to store customer bank account numbers.
- Analyze the strengths and weaknesses of the company’s IT operations.
- Assess the technical needs of the company.
- Choose and set up the company’s hardware and software.
- Train users how to work with computer systems.
Average annual salary: 134 572 USD.
Information security analyst
The information security analyst protects the company’s network and systems from cyber-attacks and removes their consequences.
- Assess new threats to company networks and systems in the industry.
- Document security violations of company networks and systems.
- Test potential vulnerabilities in company networks and systems.
- Develop and implement security measures for company networks and systems.
Average annual salary: 98 550 USD.
IT Project Manager
The IT Project Manager brings the company’s IT projects to life.
He connects the work of the IT department and the company’s stakeholders (individuals who are interested in the company’s success) to determine IT project goals, development, and implementation milestones.
- Determine the scope and timing of IT projects with stakeholders.
- Define necessary resources for the project and plan its implementation.
- Keep track of the project’s progress.
- Identify and eliminate potential problems during project implementation together with the IT team.
Average annual salary: 120 000 USD.
How many jobs are available in information technology?
Ucanremote, a remote job service, has the best IT job offers and is constantly updated. You’ll be able to find a current job that fits your needs.
What is the highest paying job in IT?
Cloud engineers are most in demand now, as most companies are moving to cloud-based tools and storage.
How to get a job in IT?
Catch four ways to get a job in IT without experience:
Work on personal projects
Write software and apps, create websites, and present them at events. Participate in hackathons competitions where developers have to solve a business problem in a short time.
Offer your services
Find out about IT job openings at startups and small businesses. Working at local companies can be the start of your IT career.
Post your resume on Ucanremote for free and respond to employers’ job openings. You will find around 50 remote IT vacancies on the website immediately.
Join IT communities and meet potential colleagues and employers in person.
Get an internship
If you have a degree in IT or are certified, apply for an internship in IT.
Internships will give you work experience and help you develop soft skills such as time management and teamwork skills.
Contact the career center
If you’re a student, make an appointment with the career center. It will help you create a resume and cover letter, find a potential employer, and prepare for an interview.
Explore jobs on Ucanremote
Ucanremote offers remote job opportunities: you can apply for an IT job at any company worldwide.
Signing up is free: create a profile in minutes and post your resume.
Set up your search filters and apply to the right jobs today. The more effort you put into your search, the better your chances of landing the job you want.
Do you want to build a career as a remote specialist and get offers from good companies? Or are you tired of working in the office and want to try remote work from home?
Ucanremote will find the most suitable jobs for you where the chance of getting a positive response is close to 100%.
You will be able to create a resume that will distinguish you from other applicants.
Create a professional profile, compare your resume to your competitors and get a salary recommendation based on your knowledge, skills and experience.
Why Ucanremote is what you need now?
Employers value soft skills, hard skills in IT, and your motivation to learn new things. Find the direction and profession in IT that you like, be persistent, and you will get the job of your dreams.